1999 Ducati 996
Purchase Date: October 2021
Ducati motorcycles, either you love 'em or hate 'em. Myself, I've got mixed feelings, a little bit of both. As of right now while writing this, I love them. That's with good reason because I recently bought this 996. I had a 1999 900ss back in '99, bought it new. I loved the bike although didn't like spending cash on the maintenance every 7k miles or so. As of now, I'm 22 years older and bought the big brother, ready to maintain myself.
After selling the MG and AJS, I had some cash burning a hole in my pocket. I haven't had a sportbike in quite a few years; therefore I was shopping for one.
To follow my thought process in shopping for this motorcycle there are a few "must haves":
- Sound, I do not want a high pitched whine of a sound. This automatically eliminates most inline fours, especially smaller engines.
- Maintenance, I want to be able to do the maintenance myself.
- Visceral. I want the all around feel of driving a racebike.
- No, or minimal modern electronic assistance. I do not want abs, or wheelie control, launch control, lean assist. I don't want any of this wizardry.
- I don't want to lose money, looking for a sound investment on my purchase for future resale.
- Performance. Not necessarily looking for high horsepower numbers, but want a motorcycle that will perform in the twisties and canyons.
- Most important - Will this motorcycle put a smile on my face?
Photos and details of the Ducati will be added as the project matures.